Saturday, August 20, 2005

drafting

The problem with drafting, of course, is that you can set your work aside and return to it at a later date. Some will note that this is also the advantage of drafting.

Myself, I'm one of those who find it difficult to get back to it, because even when i do have the time, I tend to lose the mindset that originally drove the draft. I am one of those who writes according to the whim of the moment, you see.

This post itself was started as I mused on two drafts that I ultimately decided had to be deep-sixed. There is another one, discussing the nature of names and how I relate to them, which I am in deliberation over deleting or printing. It is pure fluff, certainly, but it is something I think about often enough that I might as well mention it.

On a different angle, I should mention that I did take mechanical and architectural drafting back in highschool (all those years ago). It is a very purposeful skill, yet I also find it to be an art. I do wish I had pursued it more, but it is not for me to say what twists and turns life will take. If anyone reading this has an interest or developed skill on the subject, I would Love to hear about it. Same goes for anyone with interest or expertise in fonts.

Seeing as three is a magic number, I shall mention one more point on drafting. It is fairly common knowledge that one can follow closely on another vehicle when at high speed, for instance when highway driving. The advantage is that as the front vehicle plows through the air, it creates a partial vacuum behind itself, which can help draw the following vehicle along.

Useful as that is, I cannot profess to be as interested in drafting of this nature as I am in the concept of drift. The most dramatic example of which I have experienced occurred ages before in a slightly juvenile display of driving skill to my sister. I have thought of that incident a few times lately, coming to appreciate the amount of danger I provided myself and my family to illustrate an example of advanced driving technique.

I strongly urge you all to know and hone your technique as much as possible, but never to take unneccessary risks behind the wheel. Thank heavens I did not crash the car that day and kill my family!

No comments: