Tuesday, July 01, 2008

radio-activity

A short while back I was invited by Mr. Luke Norton to make a guest appearance on his radio show, out at the Uni. As fate would have it, I was perfectly on time for once and those whom I was to meet were late. I took over the show for slightly more than half an hour. Luke took this as a sign of me being fully capable (which is mostly true) and is going to suggest to the station director that I be offered a timeslot.

Yeeeeeesssss, this coddles my ego. I like it. The show I offer will be later in the evening, thus falling under "experimental" programming. The advantage here is of course that I will get around specific rules. For example, the 40% Canadian content rule. I like Canadian, I do. I want to play Canadian music. I am glad I am not Strictly bound to it, mind you. Another example, which I don't intend to make much use of, is that I can play music with profanities such as "fuck," "shit" and other harsh language in it. There are limits of course. No hate. As stated though, there is no big need to purposely play music with such language.

Every program needs a name. The right name will start everything off well. There are a couple of titles in consideration right now, which I will recount momentarily; but I am hoping that anybody reading this will feel free to suggest a title for a show. Without further ado, here are some possible titles...

"Final Approach" - The first thing I played, of my own volition, was an excerpt from the beginning of the film Final Approach. I like the aircraft / in-flight feel of the name. I like the vaguely sci-fi feel of it, because I want a vaguely sci-fi feel to the show.

"Test Dept." - is actually the name of a band I used to listen to. I don't hear them so much anymore because I lent out albums and never saw them again. This would make a good title inasfar as it reflects the experimental nature of the show, and the band would be a good example of much content. Possibly.

"Radioaktivität" - taken directly from the Kraftwerk song. I loves Kraftwerk, yes I does! This title would also carry a strong sci-fi feel and a definite denotation of what's what. A little unoriginal, I'd have to say - don't you think? *sigh*...

Some kind of variation on the long standing "Voice of Freedom" might be good. Or "Radio Free Sudbury." A dash political, though.

No comments: