Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I just Love those werewolf showtunes!

That's right, I have been trying a program called Konfabulator and it is KonFaaaabulouuuus! For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, it runs little tiny programs,(essentially webpages I am told),which are Java/Flash/HTML based. These are called "widgets," - you may have heard of them if you are familiar with Apple's OS X Tiger, which uses them.

There are four which I am currently in love with. The first is a simple clock, graphically elegant and settable to any place in the world. You can run multiple clocks simultaneously. The second is a to do list. That's it, cross of your items as you go. The third is pure vanity: a very stylish glass widget with which I can control iTunes. It suits my theme very well indeed. Lastly, we come to a sort of frivolity. That is, for Some people it is a frivolity but living in Sudbury it is just a good idea. It is the Werewolf Tracker.

Aside from this exist a number of funky little items, most notably: a gmail tracker, a global earthquake tracker which is connected to the U.S. Geological Survey office and a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 (MST3k)widget that puts Mike, Servo and Crow on your desktop to make the occaisional quip. There was also one to track Xforums, which I have been writing on for over a year now, but I personally would rather open the site and browse it.

A Werewolf Tracker!

- Cuz, you see, I got into a discussion about the supernatural creatures that would inhabit Sudbury IF supernaturals Would inhabit Sudbury. One friend suggested that their would be vampires, but clearly he was wrong. Anybody who has been to Azilda / Chelmsford* could see plainly that it is werewolf territory. No doubt.

For those of you who were on the boardwalk at Lake Ramsey last night, (hallo to you!), it should also be clear that the moon is a clear and obvious influence to the area.

Now, keeping in the theme of the moon, I would like to mention the moth I had on my foot not half an hour ago. I have trod the Urf for three years more than three decades and never seen its like before. As I sat out for the evening's final cig, I see this creature, three or more inches across, mint green with brown and white teardrops on its fragile (and in fact torn) wings. It had beautiful black eyes and a powder white body.

The moth sat in front of the door to the apartment (I am at Rotorooter's & Hazelnut's place tonight). Realizing it is a sure place to get stepped on, I tried to nudge the little beauty aside for its own safety and up it crawls onto my sock! (Now That's trust)! I looked at it (and spoke to it) for quite a while. When my cig was done I tried to let it gently onto a nearby bush.

As it was wounded, I knew I would have time to get the girls and bring them out to show them. When I came in I interrupted Jenny and Stephanie as they were changing into their nightthings. Perhaps because of my enthusiasm they came nearly immediately downstairs with me.

Jenny recognized the creature nearly immediately and for those of you who wonder what the flying jack this has to do with the moon, here's your answer: According to Jenny, it is a Lunar Moth. Well of course! In fact if anyone Did wonder what this has to do with the moon, Think! Moths are nocturnal and seek light. Before cities they would seek the moon. I reckon to some extent All moths are lunar then.

Finally, for as they say good things come in threes, I have been writing a little more for someone very special. Without saying much** I will state that part of the last thing I wrote for said special person included talk of tides, specifically a neap tide, and yes I kept it tidy! There you go, tides of course are driven by the moon.

Ah it is wonderful to be a creature of the night!

*When I have children, assuming I do, I am deeply considering naming one of the girls Azilda Chelmsford. I will only do this if I am living in England and working for some form of upper-crusty situation and make a regular habit of going to the Drones Club.

**For it is really None of your business, yet the the 'comes in threes' reality Must be satisfied. Three. It really is the magic number! (^_^)

No comments: