Thursday, September 21, 2006

Overlap

Or more precisely connections. My life, as many of you have been told, is a web of coincidence - or synchronicity.

They told me that I would enjoy Dr. Orr's class. They were right. Granted, Plato is something of a pain in the arse sometimes. This is a subjective stance, which I support because Plato and I have differing views of how things need to get done. It's not that I think I am smarter than he was, after all I have two millennia of hindsight don't I? That said, let me simply add: Read Plato. I might not agree with him, but his work is important and in fact quite engaging.

Aristotle, on the other hand, is more my style. Tedious at times, but much more defensible and soundly constructed. It is in discussion of Aristotle that my Film and Genre class begins to connect with Dr. Orr's class. Aristotle would appear to be the beginning of Generic Types in Western thought - that is to say, the beginning of genre. In one day, we have seen the comparison with Semantic and Syntactic theories of critique. One fellow even brought us to the beginning of Ideological critique, though I doubt it was his intent. In fact, I doubt he realized what he was leaning towards.

Nonetheless, there is a sort of joyous feeling when I see the congruence between different classes. It makes me feel like things are running right. It enforces and bolsters my world view.

No comments: