Thursday, December 08, 2005

Stalemate

It has been in the pipe for a while, but today I played some chess with a fellow fan. I lost. Weeeeeelllll in fact it was a Stalemate (which has its own irony). Now I don't throw matches ever. I don't think this guy is the type either. I think that the stalemate came from distraction, which is the same reason I was in such a disadvantaged position. (That's my story, I'm sticking with it.

I made two serious mistakes: Firstly I allowed a bishop to be captured early in the game. Don't get me wrong, I dislike bishops intensely. In the larger scheme I feel that their utility is limited by the whole single colour issue. If anything they are there for establishing your defense in the early game. (alright, I know there is more to it than that, but hell bishops suck).

Secondly, in a Stupid Stupid move where I was quite oblivious indeed, I lost my queen in a knight's fork. At this point I realized that "Shit, all I can do now is to hold out for a stalemate." That was undoubtedly the end for me right there. Kudos to you Alfred for (nearly) kicking my ass. I say nearly cuz I still pulled the iron from the fire, faking out a whole series of inescapable two move checkmates on my way to the stalemate.

Know your opponent. This one does not go for gratuitous exchange. No queen for queen action, no knight for knight action. Pawn for pawn yes, but seemingly if only to advance position. Overall, not an aggressive player, but more the type to build a defence first.

Rematch? I hope so. It shall certainly be mentioned if it happens.

5 comments:

Mandora the Explorer said...

Me thinks I see a clue in here as to what the 'obvious' is....

.....


.....

SimAC said...

Me thinks yer crazy. Crazy!

Mandora the Explorer said...

Well, obviously I'm crazy.... and?

SimAC said...

and we alll appreciate it

Mandora the Explorer said...

awww.... thank you. I feel all warm and fuzzy.