Monday, October 02, 2006

Sudbury Transit gets a boost - or, Two!

By chance, I spoke with a co-ordinator for our fair city's illustrious transit system today. It was pleasant, he was a decent chap. I won't linger on the less significant biz, but I do want to share this:

I mentioned to him how ages ago in Hamilton, the transit system assigned every bus-stop a personal phone number. Riders could call the number and find out precisely how long until their next bus came. Aside from obvious slow-downs like black ice or blizzards, the system was invariably accurate to within a minute or two at the absolute outside.

O my faithful readers, you Know how I used to disdain Sudbury Transit when I first came here. One never realizes how good home was until they leave, eh? Well after I describe this to co-ordinator guy, he tells me that the bus authority are already in phase one of putting the same system into effect here! Phase One - the GPS system is being put into place even as I write this! Phone numbers are being arranged...

This is a major boon to bus users all over the city. Further, there are eleven (or was it thirteen?) new buses coming to Sudbury, to increase schedule times and run later. Hot Damn!

It is a common thing to work in threes on this blog, so I shall also mention the U-Pass system, which is hard at work for all full time undergrads at L.U. It's here now, and no amount of pissing and moaning can stop it. Frankly, I think it is great. Cambrian will be online with this idea next year. Hopefully, so will Boreal.

Exciting times in the mass transit milieu. For all the complaints I have had about buses here, I would like to say now that I am indeed impressed with the advances Sudbury Transit is making. Kudos to all bus-affiliated workers, you're on the right track.

No comments: