Monday, October 02, 2006

Touchstone friends

My friend Andrew is one of my touchstone friends. For those of you who don't know what a touchstone is, attend: The ancients found a special stone upon which you could scrape other substances and it would leave a mark. When Gold was set to it, the gold would leave a mark distinct from anything else. This was probably the earliest form of anti-fraud device for humankind.

Gold. I seek people who are as good as gold, in their own quirky ways. When I say someone is a touchstone, then, you can surmise that I am somehow comparing you to them. Well, that's a little off base. What I am thinking is that if you have a problem with such a person, odds are I will end up having a problem with you (sooner or later).

This is not a righteousness trip. It could well turn out that this is my loss. It doesn't mean the person in question is any less valid in their humanity, dignity, opinions, etc... it's just a guideline for me - a caveat, even. On occasion, I have ignored this impulse and once or twice it even worked out. Generally, it is a good impulse.

No comments: