Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Toad In The Hole!

(I Swear I thought I had written it already, but I was wrong. Wrong! and I apologize)

You likely know it by a different name, like, Egg in a raft, Eggy in the basket or even ... I don't know. The potential list of metaphoric names for toast with a section hollowed wherein one fries an egg is likely extensive. I have no idea who first called it Toad In The Hole. I would love to know if any of you had a different name for this food when you were younger. No need to make up metaphors really, cuz I could do that...

Imagine how different commando films would feel if they yelled it each time the tossed a grenade or used a breaching charge: Instead of "Fire In the Hole!!!' it would be "Toad In the Hole" and the enemy soldiers would be like: "zey are attacking mit ze toads? Kvik, Hans, get ze tennis rackets, ve must defend ze bunker!" Hehehe

It also makes me think of the phrase "ace in the hole." Yet I haven't figured a scenario that 's even vaguely plausible to fit such a change....
Gangsta 1: We need to take Vinnie down, he's gonna rat us out.
Gangsta 2: Yeah, but he's paranoid and he's gonna underground. Nobody can reach him now.
Gangsta 1: It's okay, I've got an ace, I mean Toad in the hole. Y'see he's got a thing for fresh linen. Irish linen. We simply slip some poison into his pillow case. He calls for fresh sheets... Next time he lays his head down, it's for the Big Sleep, see?

that's three. more soon.
thanks for reading

3 comments:

Mandora the Explorer said...

I always thought toad in the hole dealt with sausages.... shows what I know.

Victor Kivisto said...

Um ... actually it does. It's a fried sausage coated in a batter formed of flour, eggs, and milk.

Mandora the Explorer said...

oh ok. thats what i thought.