Thursday, May 18, 2006

Winning really isn't everything...

If you read the previous entry, you may be shocked to see that I am not touting my team, the winningest team in World Cup history, for the trophy this year. That's right, it would be nice, but a feeling in my bones says not this time. Besides, if they win too much it will just get boring, won't it?
There are other countries that I would have no problem taking the cup this year. This short piece is about them.
Spain is a team that has been quite strong for a long time now, and every cup I think they might pull it off.. maybe, maybe. Hasn't happened yet, but I like them and part of me wants to see it happen for them.
Portugal I feel the same as I do for Spain. They seem to be slightly less the team than Spain overall, but I like 'em!
Korea gets a good mention cuz they got heart (not 'have' heart), Not a Very well developed style, but they are fun to watch. Their essentially underdogginess in previous years garnered them much popular support.
Ukraine, I did mention, holds a particular emotional draw. Beyond that I'm sure my friend Tia would love to see them take the cup.
God this could take a while! I shall speed us along. The Czechs, Mexico, Côte d'Ivoire, Sweden, Paraguay, Ecuador and perhaps even Poland are all teams i am favourable to in varying degrees. I wouldn't mind seeing any of them stand supreme.
Clearly some of these are more likely than others. Korea, Ukraine (sorry Pip), Poland and likely Portugal are more remote chances for contention.
The Czechs, Mexico, Sweden and Spain seem much stronger to make it to the final duel. Some; Paraguay, Ecuador, Côte d'Ivoire I am not sure where to place them. They have potential, just as the Swiss, Netherlands and Croatians, - and Serbia Montenegro! Wow. These guys all have the potential...

How exciting!

No comments: