Sunday, July 24, 2005

Generic Entry

If you wait long enough, you will lose all faithful readers. Then you will be back to zero, unless your words are phenomenal.
Here's what's been going on. I am looking into Grad programs at LU. The Master's of Science Communication is Not a Masters Degree, but a Graduate Diploma. Frankly, most of the courses by description seem to be things I have already learned. It would be merely a piece of paper and cheap labour for Science North - which is already cheap enough.
The Masters of Humanities is looking nicer and nicer. Some of the courses actually look Fantastic, for instance "Comic Values," or "Metafiction," or even "Future Perspectives." Yes, it seems like if I must be about Sudbury for another year, this is truly the way to spend my time. There is one problem though. The course requires a translation element from another language which could really bugger things up. I am looking into ways around this. More on it soon.

I have begun working at a little restaurant named Ugi's. Best damned wings in Sudbury. I am not overly enthusiastic about it but this town's work sitch has me by the short and curlies. I am getting very few shifts and frankly, my finances have Never been in such a hell-state. If I can make it as far as September, things will turn around.
For one, I am going to be TA-ing for Dr. Molohon's linguistics course. I will be working with Lacey Pitre, who is awesome and I have missed seeing since first year.
There are also a few places who will be hiring when everyone buggers off to school.

I realize I haven't ever used song lyrics in any blog before, so here is my first. Special Prize to whomever gets the artist and title first - and we are on the honour system, so no cheating with Google!:

I lit a thin green candle, to make you jealous of me
but the room just filled up with mosquitoes
they heard that my body was free
then I took the dust of a long lonely night, and I
put it in yout little shoe
and then I confess that I tortured the dress
that you wear for the world to look through...

I showed my heart to a doctor, he said I'd just have to quit
then he wrote himself a prescription
and your name was mentioned in it
then he locked himself in a library shelf, with the
details of our honeymoon
and I hear from the nurse that it's gotten much worse
and his practice is all in a ruin...

I'd heard of a saint who had loved you, so I studied all night
in his school
He said that the duty of lovers was to tarnish the golden rule
and just when I was sure that his teachings were pure
he drowned himself in the pool
His body is gone, but out here on the lawn
his spirit continues to drool.

An Eskimo showed me a movie he'd recently taken of you
the poor man could hardly stop shivering
his lips and his fingers were blue
I suppose that he froze when the
wind took your clothes and he just couldn't ever get warm
-
- but you stand there so nice in your blizzard of ice
please won't you let me come into your storm?


I don't know why this song is in my head so much lately. Well, perhaps I do and I am just not telling. I reckon this is it for the moment.

1 comment:

Phinneas Q Jacksmith said...

I know it's Leonard Cohen, but I have no idea of the title.

Can you cut the prize in half?