Thursday, March 02, 2006

The tech we call our friends

So I discover by comment in a previous blog that I am not the only one who names my electronics. Here, for any who give a rat's ass, are the electronics in my life:

Veronique - my iPod.
Heloise - my USB jump drive, which has only been with me for a short time, but I cannot live without.
Genevieve - my camera. Now, I haven't called her Genevieve direct to her face and I will be using Two names for her. For those who do not realize, she is a Nikon D50 which leads me to also call her "Darling Nikki" thanks to Prince for that name...
Justine - my computer. partly inspired by a book. I never use this name for some reason.
Kafka - my scanner. difficult to understand. Tempermental as well.
Xaviera - my Xbox. Yes, the Xbox is Also a girl! Yes, she is named after Xaviera Hollander, who I recently found out has previously made guest appearances at Laurentian University! How cool is That?!

Clearly, tech is an important thing for me. I have been musing how naming such instrumentation is also an effort to humanize it. Naming makes the items closer to us, which helps us cope when we are frustrated with it. Not that I am commonly frustrated or angry at My equipment. I am often irate with the tech at school, however, as many of you know...

No comments: