Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Deity

I slew the dark god last night. It was a difficult and gruelling fight and as exhaustion had lain my compatriots and l out across the lawn, I mused on the nature of some gods.

It wasn't deep or metaphysical I have to say, just dwelling on the aesthetics of each god's appearance. By any rights, the dark god was decent enough - Frightening, imperious, appearing with a Lovecraftian sky full of ancient stars as his backdrop. I gave him a 7.5 overall. Oh, did I mention the dragonhead? The dark god was dragonheaded.

So I mentioned to a friend that I slew said god and we began to contemplate gods together. He says he would like to see a god with horns. Now of course dragons have horns, as a rule. It seems to me that my friend, who has a distaste for things reptilian, might not have been interested in a dragonheaded god. What other logical options would there be then?

My first impression was based on Minotaurs. A Gigantic, bull-horned god with muscles that look like VWs moving around each other in a tight parking lot. An Axe seems to be the obvious choice of weapon, but I think a pair of giant long steel bats with spikes would also look right. A rhinoceros theme may also work I suppose, but it the rhino has always taken second place to the bull in the western mind. The rhino-horned god would be a lesser god.

For my own sense of aesthetics, I insist that a horned god must have two horns or more. Two is the minimum. Unless possibly if the god were cyclopean. One eye, one horn, one temple for all. I'm not fond of this god anyways, it gets mention because it's the only viable single horned god. Maybe there could be an aquatic god with one horn, sweeping way back past his head. Maybe, I will get back to you on it.

Other horned gods? Well the lizard based gods are most obvious, being followed closely by the humanoid who just happens to be growing horns for no reason. The latter resembling the devils that Xianity likes to think it was the creator of. Heheh, naive buggers. I see no violation of aesthetics to have an avian god with a horn. If one can have a beak, I reason it is entirely plausible to have a horn or two or three. It is fantasy, after all.

Human based and anmal based gods are standard all the way through history. I like them a lot too (the animal based especially). The only other format that springs to mind is based on things that are completely unnatural and do not follow the patterns of established reality. Sorry to mention him a second time, but Lovecraft inspires some truly fearsome horned gods.

I have a current disposition to dismiss deities that are not fundamentally biologic in nature. This is a temporary thing which comes and goes. Once I am over it I may come back and promote mechanical gods with great horns that do double service as cogs in the automata of their universal workings. Part of the reason I could (currently) accept a god made of stone and not one made of constructed steel is that stone is natural. I think the god must be natural in some respects. and capable of bringing itself together.

In fact, if built by someone or something else, my sense of aesthetics demands that one could only be a demigod. All the PC types who are gonna piss and moan about this can shut up too; If you don't have the power to make yourSelf a god, then you just ain't qualified.

I wonder now, what would my friend's god be like?

Quickly, before I go, and offering only as much detail as my friend, I think I want (at the moment) a god with wings. Aimee Leonard, who is cute, has this to say on the subject: "i would like to see a woman god with luscious blond locks and huge angel wings."

I would really like to hear about your own gods, whoever reads this. It is rare that i solicit reaction but take the plunge this time.

6 comments:

Phinneas Q Jacksmith said...

Well, as we had discussed in person, a goat god would include horns of some variety, though there's nothing much particularly terrifying about a goat god, unless it's power lay in devouring things without showing much emotion.

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that gods need to be fearsome. Judging from the Christian phrase "god-fearing" it would seem that some ideas about "capital G" God aren't meshing up. Why should we fear a benevolent lord? Because we're essentially servants, fearing the rod? Fuck that noise. I think I prefer my gods to work in a less mysterious way, thank you. A paradoxical god is no good unless it's openly paradoxical. That's why the Greek gods worked so well. If we're supposed to fear gods, let them give us a reason!

So if God with a capital G is everywhere and in everything, then technically (S)He has countless horns. Also countless wings, eyes, ears and genitals. I wonder if God has naughty bits? But that's the type of thinking that gets your passport to Hell upgraded to first class. Meh. I've always been going to Hell. It's just a question of which circle.

Perhaps a pantheological god can be imagined as a sort of invisible permeating fog, ready to give someone a shove off a cliff and have it look like a "freak accident." But that's working with the assumption that this god is pantheological (not to mention sociological) which is a belief I don't buy into. Much too convenient.

So that leaves us wih the problem of putting a god into a shape. Horns are just aesthetically pleasing. Awe-inspiring, if you ask me. Like I mentioned earlier gods need to be terrifying in one way or another. If I walked into a bank all slouchy and unshaven as I am, and said "I am your Lord God, Andrew the Terrible! Now empty thy vault into my satchel of doom!" I'd get dragged away to a darkened room by the burly, bearded security guard named Simon. However, do the same thing with a pair of leathery reptilian wings, a nice set of horns, the ability to hover a few feet off the ground, and a flaming satchel of doom, and brother, you can kiss those student loans goodbye.

You want me to worship you? Give me one good reason why I should. Oh, you created the universe, did you? Prove it. No? Hmmm, well maybe I'll just sleep in on sundays instead.

I bet a cool god would be like Yoda. Small, docile, even kinda cute, but the second you try to stir some shit you get put in your place. Also, like Yoda, the ability to admit when you've lost a fight, when you were (gasp!) wrong.

I agree with Aimee's request for a beautiful god or goddess. May I make a dorky quote? "In place of a dark lord you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me and despair! "

Now THAT'S the kind of god I wouldn't have a problem worshiping!

Another condition of worshipping. I should want to be the thing I'm worshipping.

Pundit: Well, don't you want to be like God?

Me: Why would I want to be like God?

P: God is omnipotent!

M: (pause)Well, can you give me an example?

That's the problem. When you can do anything... how do you decide what to do? Must get boring. I don't want to be bored. Being bored is, well... boring.

I think a regular exercising of powers would be needed in some tangible form in order to keep a nice stranglehold on the masses. I'd love to turn on the news one day and hear "Well Tom, it seems that God Him/Herself appeared today in the form of a fiery dragon and destroyed the west end Wal-Mart to make an example for all us wretched sinners to beware His/Her wrath." "Gosh Dianne, looks like we won't be getting those President's Day savings this year! Ha Ha Ha...and now over to sports!"

Well, whatever a god looks like, it's bound to disappoint on some level or another. It's like when God appeared on "South Park" as a hairy little monkey thing with really crooked teeth. "What were you expecting?" its asks. "Well not THAT!" comes the reply. Unless... maybe this god appears in a different form to all who gaze upon it, thus satisfying all. But then another can of worms is cracked wide open when we begin to force OUR vision of god onto everyone else, because we can't simply accept diversity.

I was playing cards with a friend the other night when I played a bad hand and said "God damn it!" to which she replied in a mock-Irish accent "Don't be using the Lord's name in vain!" So I said "look, you know that neither of us believes in the Lord."

Maybe that says it all.

So MY god has horns. What about yours?

Phinneas Q Jacksmith said...

Sorry to hog up all the comment space, but this just crossed my mind. It's another way the Pundit/Me conversation could have gone.

Pundit: God is omnipotent!

Me: Then why don't I fear Her/Him?

P: Because you choose to be ignorant!

M: And ignorance is bliss, baby.

And then I put my hands behind my head and lean back in a comfortable manner.

Liz said...

Pundit: If ignorance is bliss why aren't more people happy?

But on the subject of God/Goddess and what not: I think the only thing that would disappoint me would be if God were not horribly ironic in a humanly comprehensible sort of way. I personally enjoyed Alanis Morisette as God in Dogma (especially when her singing makes people's heads explode).

I have this theory that when I die I will float up to heaven and walk through the Pearle Gates (as part of a huge, but totally predictable, psyche-out) walk up a stairway to a golden temple and God will be revealed to me. But it will be exactly what I was expecting. It will be me, perhaps a few pounds lighter with less noticeable facial hair. It's not God taking on my image or my mysterious twin or anything. It's actually me, as if to say, "It's just you and you now, for all eternity"

I don't think that there is anything for a person that is more terrifying than his or her own self. The notion that we created ourselves and controlled our own destiny, or that we can't blame some greater being for our flaws or mistakes is much scarier than any omnipotent creature controlling our fate.
Somehow it makes sense to me. All of us have some notion of ourselves as being the greatest damn thing we can think of as it is. And who else can truly judge us and unconditionally love us at the same time? Plus it would be totally mind-blowing that you are not at all unique, but just the earthly representation of yourself.

Now the question is, can I live with myself for all eternity? Do I really like me that much?
More importantly, where does that leave me now?

SimAC said...

Ironically, I blame a lot of Lesser beings for the way things have played out. Vicious, petty, conniving, self-serving lesser beings. Like the place I live, sometimes, or the transit system. I love the idea of myself as god, which I first thought of back in fourth grade.

As for distinguishing big and small 'g' gods: I am a little hesitant about the big G - the One god. I definitively conceive of her as a her, when I am forced to conceive her at all. I expect she taps one's subconscious to present in an aesthetically pleasing manner tailored to the individual's desires. (Which is why she is a she to me. She may well be a ferret for people like Ben and Diane). I rather expect she picked this trick up from some of the older gods before she tried to get a monopoly going.

Any being advanced enough, in comparison to those meeting it, would be considered a god. In this sense, perhaps god (or God) is simply a scientist with the wickedest tech we could think of at her disposal. Certainly that would make me want to be like her. I have to admit though, a little WalMart smashing would win me over pretty quick too.

Liz said...

Yeah I have news for you... I thought of the idea of having the big G God as a Her in fourth grade too. If you're going to debate the maturity of my ideas, maybe a conversation on the nature of deities that started with a video game character is the wrong place to do so.

SimAC said...

I am not debating your maturity, nor am I detracting from what I figured out in fourth grade as some of it is still more advanced than grown up ideas that I hear now. The intention was not to make you defensive, for which I apologize.