Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Google and Pictures

For the regulars, you will notice that I have added a picture of myself. Actually myself and a friend. The mysterious young lady is Holly, who worked with me at the track and Ami at Le Chateau.

Now, I just want to say that there was some rather silly runaround going on just to get that damned pic up there, and it doesn't even look that good. I shall have to replace it soon enough. I am not going to throw all the blame on the electronics. The picture was OK to start, but admittedly not magnificent. Still, I typically scan at about 300 dpi, and often much higher, so it isn't Just the pic.

Alright, I started with Photobucket, as they came recommended from someone on Xforums. Now, I expect in the name of efficiency and everyone getting a pic up, Photobucket will automatically resize a pic that is larger than 250 kb. I suppose that's fair enough, but keep in mind that my average photo file is roughly 4 Mb, 20 Mb is not uncommon and the occasional 100 Mb file shows up in the archives...

So anyways Photobucket automatically resizes to 250 puny kb and that's nice because it saves me the trouble. I hear it from a friend who runs a blog that this google-based Blogger will allow you to post pics of up to 250 kb size. One would begin to think that this meant to be. Seamless. Integrated.

Of course as previously mentioned, I am not sure that I want photos in my posts. Just a small square of my own mug so that accidental tourists to Simacia can see me. This needs to be edited in profile preferences, where there are special 'different' restrictions. For Instance: a 50kb picture size limit. !!

Now, some will say "just calm down Jay" and that's okay to say. It is Free after all. I started Photoshop and cropped and resized to 47.8 kb. Apparently it was still to big. 42 kb, still too big. 35 kb. Damn if it wasn't too frikkin' big! I have the item up there now and it weighs in as a welterweight 28 kb and change.

Now here's what I can't understand: Gmail is affording me 2.348+ Gb of email space (and counting) right now and given the 50 invites I have left (free invites for you luddites who don't use Gmail yet) I could theoretically get well over 100 Gb. I could then round up 9 people just like me and co-ordinate the first Tb of Gmail, but I digress!

How can it be that they cannot afford a little more space to be given to blogger and less to Gmail? How? I defy anyone to show me a Gmail box that has, in the nearly two years that it's been around, been filled to not receiving anymore. If you can show me this person, I can show you someone who Purposely asks for as much spam and crap as they can swallow in one gulp.

Well it doesn't matter too much. I still like blogger, even if Angelo says the rollover is too long. He writes more than I do, I expect. So does Root. So did Hemingway. I never claimed to be dedicated, just interested.

I do hope some change comes along, mind you. Now I am going to figure out the audio content...

1 comment:

Angelo Muredda said...

Blogger was quite good for the first few months I used it. It only started getting nutty once my archives became huge, at which point it often took me a full 45 minutes to post. But it's definitely much more aesthetically pleasing then Xanga.

I understand your frustration. LiveJournal is even worse: try and use that picture for an account with them and you will surely go insane. It makes you shave your picture down to 100*100 pixels maximum, which is much more frustrating to accomplish than it may sound.