Thursday, June 16, 2005

teh hot and cold

When I was an anklebiter I loved all seasons equally. Each had their strengths and weaknesses. As I grow older I realize that there are some habits associated to the seasons that have come with me through the years. It is possible that these quirks influence me now when thinking of my favourite season.

First and foremost: I used to love the feel of heat from blacktop, on my feet. I have spent entire Summers without wearing shoes. It's not something that I ever thought about until a few days ago. I have been in the park and at the school (rehearsals on the lawn at the chapel), barefoot for a week. I had forgotten how nice it was. Also, being on a severely reduced nicotine intake at the moment, I have been running in the heat a few times. Sure, I lose my breath quicker than when I was young, but it's fine, it feels great all the same. Score one for Summer.

It used to be a great comfort to me in the Spring and the Autumn to have the heat up and sleep with my window wide open. My parents were sure that I just liked to cost them extra money for heating. I am allowed to do this now, to an extent, because I live in an apartment where the rent is inclusive. I have a great landlord, however, so I try not to do this too often as I wouldn't want to incur his wrath. Score one for Spring and Autumn

Connected to this is a joy I discovered when I was taller and could reach high windows. Perhaps it is by coincedence that most places I have lived in my life, have had windows set in with the shower. It is a treat for me to stay in a hot shower with the window wide open and a cool breeze coming in. In winter, of course, one should not open the window All the way. It was not long before I discovered that the process could be inverted in the summer, taking a very cool shower while the hot, dense, humid air envelopes you. It's not As good, but definiely deserves mention. Score one All seasons.

Winter is the season that I have kept the least of my childhood from. I haven't built a snowfort in damn near a decade now. I haven't played hockey in quite a while. I do not own iceskates anymore. Worst of all, I cannot endure the cold like when I was young. On the upside, I find it relatively easy to start the occasional snowball fight, especially given the silly nature of many of my close friends. I have also learned to ski relatively recently, although I don't get to nearly often enough. I look forward to having a good snowball fight on the slopes soon. Score one Winter.

There it is, all seasons tied at two. Sooner or later someone will mention something that prompts round two of the battle of the seasons.

1 comment:

Phinneas Q Jacksmith said...

Sounds like you're a (snicker) man for all seasons! (snicker snicker)