Monday, June 12, 2006

It comes in threes

Australia faced 84 minutes of Japan without scoring. During this time, The blue samurai had already scored. It was looking bleak. Then in the course of roughly 8 minutes. Aus (aka the Socceroos) pounded the tar out of th poor Japanese with 3 Goals! Ouch! Their next game is with 5 time world cup champions Brazil.

The Czechs played down America today, 3-1. Beautiful scoring there and who can be surprised at the outcome. I, who rarely give America any slack at all, will say this much: somewhere around the 24 minute mark one American made for goal and hit the crossbar. It could have been a Magnificent goal and after watching the replay about a dozen times, I wish it had gone in - not just for the guy who made the play, but for aesthetics in general.

The Azzuri are not even 10 minutes in to playing Ghana. I think this one is a no-brainer... I am looking for Italy to get three goals, even considering their extremely defensive style. If I am right then there will be three sets of three goals.

Edit to Add: My bad. Ita 2 - 0 Gha. Apparently it was a good game to watch. I wouldn't know. Still, if you take the Japan goal and add it to the Azzuri goal, you get three even. So there is simply a fractured symmetry here. Sort of.

1 comment:

Victor Kivisto said...

Damn you! Once again, I worked all damn day! Soon, very soon, we will watch a game, and great enjoyment will be had by all.