Friday, June 09, 2006

It's begun...

I reckon I am one of millions who will write on this topic today. I am not doing it for fame, but for the point of dispersing the info to those of you who wouldn't be affected except for reading my chickenscratch.

The FIFA World Cup began today, with host nation Germany playing the first match to Costa Rica. I did not Watch the game, alas, it was not an option. So I am not giving you the big breakdown on it, just relevant facts.

It should be no surprise whatsoever that Germany won. They are coming into this tournament with a heavy popular conception of possible winners (i.e. in My terms contenders against Brazil). Full time of 93 minutes produced a score of 4-2 for the hosts.

I am somewhat happy for Costa Rica in fact, because they did get two goals and I pegged them for merely one. Both of CR's goals came from Wanchope, a player I am not too familiar with yet. Fonseca took a yellow card fairly early on.

Lahm scored first for Germany and Frings scored last. Frings is a name you will hear again, cannot say for Lahm - don't know him too well.
Here is the name to remember for those of you who aren't following too closely: Miroslav Klose. He scored twice for Germany in this game. Four years ago he was being touted as one of the big up and comers. Hopefully he will give us some good viewing.

So there it is! It has begun! Part of me wishes I was in a bigger city for this, but then again it doesn't matter does it? I shall maintain the enthusiasm for All of you who can't be enthusiastic about it.

No comments: