Sunday, June 11, 2006

Restoring the Sparkle

If this morning's game was somewhat bland, as I have intimated, it was more than made up for with the first match of the afternoon between Mexico and Iran. Excuse me, I started while the match was still on... It's over now and here's my take.

I like Mexico and would love to see them progress. I haven't cared one way or another about any of the Mid-East teams. That said, It was not surprising to see Mexico score first. What was a pleasant surprise was the style and push exhibited by Iran.

Moments after Mexico's first goal (their only goal in the first half), I stated it would be nice to see a 2-1 finish in favour of Mexico. Something about Iran's play made me like them enough to want to see them score. Well score they did, a short time later. I felt very good for both teams.

The second half came to me by webcast, which said "The second half has not, in truth,been of the same quality as the first." Mexico scored twice. Nice. Still, kudos to Iran for a stimulating matching in the first half.

For the people who regularly read this coloumn, I promise something more in my regular vein shortly. Hang in there.

No comments: